Thursday, December 18, 2014

THE LAST NOEL

I wrote this a few years ago to summarize my thoughts about the "Christmas Wars". Thought I'd dust it off for the Christmas season. Enjoy...


If Jesus is the reason for the holiday season
Like so many believers say
Then what is the reason for the indignation
When someone says “Happy Holidays”?

I wonder what bothers Jesus the most
About these Christmas wars
That his name is removed from a Christmas sign
Or that his followers ignore his words?

Does ‘peace on earth and good will toward men’
Only apply to our friends?
Are we to share God’s love all the time
Or only when it suits our ends?

Am I to love my neighbor more than myself
Unless they don’t think like me?
Are we to reach people just as they are
Or just as we want them to be?

If Jesus is the reason for the holiday season
Like so many people say
Then what is the reason for all of this anger
Leading up to Christmas day?

I wonder what bothers Jesus the most
About these Christmas issues
That his name is removed from a holiday
Or that his name is being misused?

Do we avenge when our faith is challenged
By those who don’t follow our Lord?
Do we walk in love like Jesus did
Or make plans to boycott stores?

Are we supposed to spend time looking for things
That would steal our joy and peace?
Did God leave us here to show His love
Or to be the social police?

All the world will despise his name
Christ said it would be this way
So it should come as no surprise to us
When ‘Christmas’ becomes ‘Winter Holiday’

Whatever issues the church may face
This truth will never fail
As long as Christ is the head of His church
We’ll never see the last noel

As long as Jesus Christ is King
We’ll never see the last noel.


No comments:

Post a Comment